How to lose friends but influence people
By the Stand Agency team
We read, with shock at our admissions, a recent article summing up “how you know you’re getting old” and couldn’t help but laugh. We have now compiled our list of “how you know you work in PR”. For those in the industry, you will probably laugh and nod, for those looking to work in PR….don’t say we didn’t warn you!
- You watch someone being interviewed on TV and analyse how well you think they have been media trained, instead of passively watching.
- You wax lyrical on very niche subjects – Penny, for example, can tell you anything you never wanted to know about potholes, whereas Jo Jacobson can offer thoughts on government positioning.
- You hone in on surveys from a great height when reading the papers, but not for the subject matter. No, we don’t need to know how much fatter people are than in 1950 (thanks Daily Express) we need to know who the client is that commissioned it!
- You think advertising is “a bit over-rated”.
- You read every single media outlet by 9.30am, even on a Sunday.
- You have an unhealthy obsession with social media. Whether your topic of choice is feminism/ politics/ football/ music/ photography/ celebrity/ fashion/ insert any other obsession here.
- You can juggle at least five tasks simultaneously. On a quiet day. Whilst frantically tweeting, of course.
- You can deliver bad news, and make it sound OK. Telling a client that something has gone wrong but still eking out a tiny modicum of positivity is vital.
- You understand that when someone says, I need to turn this around quickly, that means in the next hour… not in the next week.
- You don’t read the paper. You demolish it by tearing out various articles and always thinking; “yes my client could fit in with this or that”.
- You are glued to your phone when a client matter is going on be it day or night, whether you are on holiday or at home.
- You hear yourself saying out loud on the train into work, “that’s a nice infographic.” Infowhat…?!
So, what do you think? Have we missed any blinders – if so let us know. Working in PR can be a way to lose friends but influence people. And a sure fire way to laugh all day at yourself doing the above.
The future of payment – the revolution of mobility technology
Phasing out petrol and diesel cars and introducing EVs is a great option in...More information
Claire Brady on Net Zero Hero Podcast
Some people think that ‘circularity’ simply means recycling, but it is so much more...More information
Earth Day provides an opportunity to take stock of our progress towards addressing the...More information
When it comes to making sustainability claims, getting it wrong can cost organisations the earth
According to Robin Hicks, “2022 was the year that policymakers started to take greenwashing...More information
Less is more: How low alcohol brands are targeting their Gen Z consumers
Dry January may be over, but giving up alcohol definitely hasn’t gone out of...More information
Beyond B Corp: Breaking up with Barclays
Last year we became a certified B Corp, and to do so we had...More information
Three takeaways from the IPCC’s ‘final warning’ report
This week has seen the release of the latest IPCC report assessing the climate...More information
Why we’ve introduced a 4.5 day working week
As the rulebook of the working week gets rewritten, at Stand we continue to...More information
Stand shifts as we move into our second decade
I founded Stand with one simple (but typically ambitious) belief: that good comms can...More information
So… has the pandemic set us back or propelled us forward?
Last week, just days after the restrictions in England were lifted, we hosted our...More information
Wellbeing is not a one-size-fits-all approach
It’s safe to say that being plunged into multiple lockdowns across the past 18...More information
Covid-19 has given us a harsh lesson in education inequality
Although ‘Freedom Day’ is here, Covid’s effects will, as we hear all too often,...More information
The pandemic of inequalities
Last week, the Health Foundation’s Unequal pandemic, fairer recovery report made headlines, revealing that...More information
Has the pandemic set us back 50 years, or will it propel us forward?
At its onset, Covid-19 was described as the great leveller. But the pandemic has...More information
Pride 2021: Tokenistic campaigns just won’t fly anymore
June is Pride Month, a time for celebrating the diverse accomplishments, identities, and members...More information