How to lose friends but influence people
By the Stand Agency team
We read, with shock at our admissions, a recent article summing up “how you know you’re getting old” and couldn’t help but laugh. We have now compiled our list of “how you know you work in PR”. For those in the industry, you will probably laugh and nod, for those looking to work in PR….don’t say we didn’t warn you!
- You watch someone being interviewed on TV and analyse how well you think they have been media trained, instead of passively watching.
- You wax lyrical on very niche subjects – Penny, for example, can tell you anything you never wanted to know about potholes, whereas Jo Jacobson can offer thoughts on government positioning.
- You hone in on surveys from a great height when reading the papers, but not for the subject matter. No, we don’t need to know how much fatter people are than in 1950 (thanks Daily Express) we need to know who the client is that commissioned it!
- You think advertising is “a bit over-rated”.
- You read every single media outlet by 9.30am, even on a Sunday.
- You have an unhealthy obsession with social media. Whether your topic of choice is feminism/ politics/ football/ music/ photography/ celebrity/ fashion/ insert any other obsession here.
- You can juggle at least five tasks simultaneously. On a quiet day. Whilst frantically tweeting, of course.
- You can deliver bad news, and make it sound OK. Telling a client that something has gone wrong but still eking out a tiny modicum of positivity is vital.
- You understand that when someone says, I need to turn this around quickly, that means in the next hour… not in the next week.
- You don’t read the paper. You demolish it by tearing out various articles and always thinking; “yes my client could fit in with this or that”.
- You are glued to your phone when a client matter is going on be it day or night, whether you are on holiday or at home.
- You hear yourself saying out loud on the train into work, “that’s a nice infographic.” Infowhat…?!
So, what do you think? Have we missed any blinders – if so let us know. Working in PR can be a way to lose friends but influence people. And a sure fire way to laugh all day at yourself doing the above.
So… has the pandemic set us back or propelled us forward?
Last week, just days after the restrictions in England were lifted, we hosted our...More information
Wellbeing is not a one-size-fits-all approach
It’s safe to say that being plunged into multiple lockdowns across the past 18...More information
Covid-19 has given us a harsh lesson in education inequality
Although ‘Freedom Day’ is here, Covid’s effects will, as we hear all too often,...More information
The pandemic of inequalities
Last week, the Health Foundation’s Unequal pandemic, fairer recovery report made headlines, revealing that...More information
Has the pandemic set us back 50 years, or will it propel us forward?
At its onset, Covid-19 was described as the great leveller. But the pandemic has...More information
Pride 2021: Tokenistic campaigns just won’t fly anymore
June is Pride Month, a time for celebrating the diverse accomplishments, identities, and members...More information